This business is pretending to represent the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The scam includes the impostor stating the following:
1. You have a final IRS notice.
2. You are not allowed to speak until you write down this person’s so called IRS Badge Number. I was told the person’s name was Officer David Thomas and his badge number is IRM1050. I was told the call was being recorded and that I could go to jail if I don’t pay the fine.
3. He said a confidential audit of my taxes over 6 years had been conducted by the IRS .
4. I was given a choice to go to court in Washington DC with an attorney or settle over the phone by bank transfer. I was given a dollar amount that I owed. It was stated that they attempted to serve written notice via the US mail on two occasions. Because I had not responded they were contacting me about a pending lawsuit that the IRS had filed and possible jail time.
5. Based on the choice I took, I was transferred to a different individual. This person identified herself as Debbie Garner, badge # 601113. She also insisted that I write down a CASE File number that I had been assigned. She gave me a choice to show up in the District court of Washington DC with an attorney or pay with cash immediately using the electronic federal tax payment system (EFTPS). She identified Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank and Citi Bank as three potential payment locations. She also said I would have to remain on the line until she could confirm receipt of payment.
6. She said I had to meet three conditions to ensure they could verify the payment:
(1)Pay full amount today, (2) pay cash through EFTPS and (3) make sure my phone line is not disconnected prior to confirmation that my payment had been received.
7. She asked where the money was coming from my bank account or cash. I told her I did not know where the money was coming from, but I would have to call her back. She stated that I could call her back.